August 11, 2015
Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Thai Coconut Chicken Salad
For the thai “peanut” dressing (makes ⅓ cup)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon coconut vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- juice of 1⁄2 lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the salad
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, butter, or ghee, divided
- 1⁄2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded thin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 small sweet potato or yam, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 batch Thai “Peanut” Dressing
- 6 to 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- roughly chopped cilantro, for garnish
- To make dressing: Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Put in the refrigerator to cool before using. Store the dressing in a closed container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- To make salad: In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of
- the coconut oil. Season the chicken on both sides with the salt, garlic powder, and pepper, then place in the hot pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, depending on thickness, until the chicken is cooked through and no pink remains.
- While the chicken cooks, place the remaining 2 tablespoons
- of coconut oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shredded sweet potato and a bit of salt and pepper and sauté for about 5 minutes, until soft.
- When the chicken is done, let it rest for 3 minutes, then slice it at an angle into strips.
- Arrange the salad: Place the greens in a large bowl, add as much dressing as you like, and toss to coat. Add some greens to each plate, then top with the chicken strips, sautéed sweet potato, cucumber, coconut, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of paleomg.com