Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Paleo “Cheesy” Potatoes
- 1-2 large yellow sweet potatoes (~5 cups shredded)
- 13.5 oz (400 mL) can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp minced shallot (or onion)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp arrowroot powder
- 1 Tbsp butter, optional
- 2-3 Tbsp ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). Grease the bottom and sides of a 13″ x 9″ baking dish with coconut oil or your fat of choice. Set aside.
- Peel and shred the sweet potatoes using a food processor with shredder blade or a box grater. Set aside.
- Mince the shallot very finely. You can use onion if you cannot find shallots.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium low heat, combine the coconut milk and shallots. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often, until the coconut milk starts to reduce.
- Whisk in the nutritional yeast, mustard powder, salt and paprika. Then add the arrowroot powder and whisk well until combined and slightly more thickened. Finish by whisking in about a tablespoon of cold butter (optional). Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Add the potatoes to the baking dish and pour the sauce on top. Stir to combine. Top with ground almonds.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the sauce is bubbly. Turn on the broiler to high. Broil for about 5 minutes until the very top of the potatoes gets a bit crisp and browned – watch them so they don’t burn though!
Prep time: 5 min Cook time: 45 min Makes: 13″ x 9″ dish
Recipe Courtesy of stupideasypaleo.com