Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Easy Crab Curry
Author: Rachel Ball
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp coriander
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 whole crabs, cracked and cleaned or 12 oz canned crab, drained
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili flakes (optional)
- 1-3 oz crab meat (optional)
- Handful fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped (optional)
- If using whole crabs, carefully pick as much meat as possible from the shell and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Heat the cinnamon sticks, cardamom, salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric and star anise in the coconut oil until fragrant. Add the chopped onions and bell peppers plus garlic to the spices and oil. Save time by shredding the bell peppers, onions and garlic finely in a food processor if you prefer a finer-textured curry.
- Add the fresh or canned crab meat and crushed tomatoes, mix with the vegetables and spices thoroughly.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have cooked until soft and the flavors are concentrated.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and star anise, then top with chili flakes, additional crab meat and fresh coriander, if desired.
- Serve warm.