Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Caldo De Res (Mexican Beef Soup)
2 lbs beef stew meat
2 lbs beef shanks bone-in (cut some of the meat away from the bones but make sure you put the bones IN the soup!)
2 tablespoons coconut oil, lard, or tallow
1 yellow onion, quartered
2 garlic cloves, cut in half
4 celery stalks, halved and cut into 4 inch pieces
4 carrots, halved and cut into 4 inch pieces
1 head green cabbage, cut into large chunks
2 zucchini, cut into large pieces
Water – enough to cover the beef and bones
Sea salt to taste
1-2 teaspoons oregano
For Garnish – chopped cilantro, finely diced onion, and lemon or lime wedges
1. In a large soup pot, heat the coconut oil, lard or tallow over medium high heat and add the beef stew meat and bones and brown the meat for about 7-10 minutes.
2. Add enough water to cover the beef and bones.
3. Add the onions and garlic cloves and bring to a boil.
4. Turn down to a simmer and let cook for about 1 hour or until the beef is very tender.
5. Add the remaining veggies, salt, and oregano and cook until the veggies are fork tender. If you are using zucchini, add the zucchini just before the other veggies are done as the zucchini will only take a few minutes to cook.
6. Serve in large bowls garnished with chopped cilantro, chopped onion, and lemon or lime wedges if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Everday Paleo