Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Blueberry Pumpkin Muffin Bars
For the muffin crust
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves, ⅛ teaspoon powdered ginger)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
For the toppings
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries (frozen blueberries work, just thaw first)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream concentrate or homemade coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- zest of ½ a lemon
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
For the crumble
- ½ cup mixed nuts, chopped (I used cashews, pecans, and walnuts)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together wet ingredients in a bowl: pumpkin puree, maple syrup, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, powdered ginger, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well.
- Grease an 8×8 glass baking dish then cut a piece of parchment paper down so it can fit into the baking dish, leaving two sides out of the baking dish. This way you can pick the bars out of the dish without breaking them apart.
- Pour the muffin batter into the parchment lined baking sheet and spread out evenly.
- Place in oven and baking for 30-35 minutes until cooked through.
- While the crust bakes, place a small saucepan over medium heat and add blueberries.
- Add honey, coconut cream concentrate, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Mix well.
- Once the blueberries begin to burst, remove from heat and add coconut flour. Mix until completely combined. Let sit for about 5 minutes to thicken up.
- When the crust is done cooking, pour the blueberry mixture on top.
- In a bowl, add nuts, coconut, sesame seeds, honey, cinnamon and salt and mix together and mix.
- Add clumps of the nuts to the top of the blueberry mixture.
- Add to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan, then place on a cool rack to cool for 5 more minutes before cutting into 6-8 squares.
- Store in fridge.
Recipe Courtesy of palemg.com