Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Bacon Herb Biscuits
Author: Alaena Haber
Serves: 5 biscuits
- 3 slices bacon, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 8 ounces peeled yellow plantain
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- ½ cup arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- Flaked sea salt, to taste
- Raw honey, drizzle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cook chopped bacon over medium heat in a large skillet for 6-8 minutes until crispy. Stir in minced garlic and thyme, and let cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Spoon bacon-herb mixture in a small bowl, leaving bacon fat in pan to use in step 4. Set aside.
- Place plantain in food processor or high-powered blender and pulse until broken up into small pieces. Add remaining ingredients to blender, except the bacon-herb mixture, and blend until a smooth, wet dough has formed.
- Spoon mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in bacon-herb mixture.
- Scoop ¼ cup dough onto prepared baking sheet to create round biscuits. Sprinkle with flaked sea salt. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly before slicing and serving with homemade pork sausage and a drizzle of honey.
Recipe courtesy of civilizedcavemancooking.com